A very small little baby is calling the shots already (as I am going on 10 weeks pregnant right now, cravings are increasing *still nothing too crazy*) and I had been DYING for some butternut squash soup. I really like the premade soups in the natural section at our local stores, the down side to them though… is that it has dairy, sugar, a surplus of additives or it’s healthy and expensive (with only 1-2 servings of soup).
I say Vegan or Paleo, because I did it both ways. I made it 100% Vegan then I added some cubed chicken and made it paleo. If you’d like it vegan, just skip the chicken! Yields: 24 – 26 Servings
NOTE: I know food prices vary from place to place, this is a really great affordable option and it can last me and Daniel a family dinner and then 4 -5 days. When it’s just Daniel and I, it would last for about a week. That would be if we ate only the soup with a few other dishes. 🙂 (We had most of the ingredients already, if we had to buy every thing it would’ve been around $15 – $20).
1 (3-4lb / Medium to Large) Butternut Squash
2 – 3 Cans of Coconut Milk (whole, not Light)
1 -2 liters of purified Water (the more water you add the thinner your soup will be, the less water the more concentrated and ‘bisque’ like it will be)
1 Sweet yellow onion
4 – 8 Cloves of garlic, peeled
5 – 8 tbsps parsley
2 – 3 tbsps Italian Seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 c. Sea Salt
(Optional) 2 -3 chicken thighs or breasts
1. Slice your squash down the center (usually the thinnest point) and then cut the two halves down the center (making 4 pieces, you can slice it as much as you want, the more pieces the faster it will steam).
2. (you can use an instant pot or any other steaming method) Place a large pot on medium/high heat with 1 cup of water (add more as needed), place the lid on top and bring to a boil.
3. Put your squash slices into the boiling water, cover. Let cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until it’s soft. Test by poking with a fork.
4. Take steamed squash (let cool if necessary, I just place the slices on a hand towel and avoid skin contact) and carefully spoon out the pulp (avoiding the skin 🙂 ) and place into a bowl or right in your blender.
5. Add Sweet Onion (whole/peeled or quartered), Coconut Milk, Garlic Cloves, and blend until smooth.
6. Pour blender contents back into your large pot, cooking on a medium/high heat and add water until you reach the desired consistency.
7. Add Seasonings. If you’re using dried seasonings allow 3 -5 minutes for them to soften and flavor to seep into your soup.
8. (Optional: Cube and cook chicken in a separate pan. Once cooked, carefully add to your soup.)
9. The fresh garlic will add a spiciness to the soup while raw, the longer you cook the soup the less spicy and potent the garlic will be. You can eat it as soon as it’s warmed or cook for 15 – 20 minutes to avoid a slightly potent garlic spice. The less time spent cooking the more nutritional this soup will be! 🙂
Please like, subscribe, comment and share! Have a great week everyone.
Ps. I will be posting my pregnancy progress update around Thursday or Friday after our first midwife appointment! We will be telling our families on Wednesday night. If you guys would like to hear about how we break the news please let me know in the comments below! 😀